Walk-in or book an appointment at the Bourget Assessment Centre for Respiratory Illnesses

Since January, the Centre de santé communautaire de l’Estrie (CSCE) operate a WALK-IN or BY APPOINTMENT Clinical Assessment Centre (CAC) for respiratory illnesses at its Bourget location (2081 Laval Street). The clinic is open every Sunday and is only for the evaluation of respiratory illnesses for the population of Stormont, Dundas, Glengarry, Prescott and Russell, without age restrictions.

Whether or not you are a client at the CSCE, you can call 1-888-235-0577 on the day of the clinic to book an appointment or walk-in at the Bourget CSCE on Sundays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The staff assesses respiratory symptoms, orders tests as needed (blood tests, X-rays, various samples for influenza or COVID-19, etc.), and then prescribes medication if needed. A follow-up is made by phone for all clients who test positive or negative.

The clinic operates on a first-come, first-served basis. However, it is also possible to call 1-888-235-0577 on the day of the clinic to book an appointment. When the day’s capacity is reached, people are referred to other services.

It is important to note that this clinic focuses on respiratory illnesses only. Community members without any of the symptoms listed below will be redirected. The clinic will not accept clients living in the urban Ottawa area, as equivalent services are available in their community.

The Centre de santé communautaire de l’Estrie is doing its part to reduce overcrowding in emergency room by offering this clinic to underserved communities in Eastern Ontario. We would like to extend a warm thank you to all those who responded to the call to provide these clinical assessment services at our Bourget location.

Clinical Assessment Centre (CAC) – What do you need to know before visiting?

What is a clinical assessment centre (CAC)?

A clinical assessment centre is a medical clinic that can test, assess, and provide treatment for people with COVID-19 and other cold and flu-like illnesses.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19 and other cold and flu-like illnesses?

Below are some of the symptoms you may have when you have COVID-19 or other cold and flu-like illnesses:

  • Fever or chills
  • Cough (not related to other causes such as allergies)
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Decreased or loss of taste or smell
  • Runny nose or nasal congestion
  • Headache
  • Extreme tiredness
  • Sore throat
  • Muscle aches or joint pain
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms (such as vomiting or diarrhea)
  • Abdominal pain (not related to other causes)
  • Pink eye (not related to other causes)

When should I visit a clinical assessment centre (CAC)?

Call your primary care provider (family doctor or nurse practitioner) first if you or your child have the symptoms above and feel that you need medical care.

Your primary care provider will give you advice about what to do next. This may include:

  • Caring for yourself or your child at home
  • Seeing your primary care provider either virtually or in-person
  • Going to a clinical assessment centre

Consider visiting a clinical assessment centre if:

  • You do not have a primary care provider
  • Your symptoms or your child’s symptoms are getting worse or are not improving, and you feel that you need medical care
  • You have been told by any health professional to go to a clinical assessment centre
  • You are at high risk of getting very sick from COVID-19 and you qualify for COVID-19 testing and treatment

You can also consider contacting Health Connect Ontario or a walk-in clinic. At Health Connect Ontario, you can get advice from a nurse at any time of day by calling 811 or by online chat at ontario.ca/HealthConnectOntario.

You might also find this tip sheet made by family doctors helpful. It provides tips on deciding when to seek care for a child with respiratory illness and how to support your child at home.

Will I get antiviral treatment if I have COVID-19?

Antiviral treatment is available for people who are at high risk of getting very sick from COVID-19. Use this screener to see if you are eligible: ontario.ca/covid-treatment-screener.

If you are eligible and think you might have COVID-19, don’t delay. You will need to start treatment within 5 days. Call your primary care provider, go to a clinical assessment centre, or contact Health Connect Ontario by calling 811 or by online chat at ontario.ca/HealthConnectOntario.

When do I need to go to the emergency department? 

If you or your child develop severe symptoms, call 911 or go to the emergency department.

For adults, severe symptoms include:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Confusion

For children, severe symptoms include:

  • Working hard or straining to breathe – for example, the lower chest is moving in more than normal when the child breathes, the child is grunting, or the child’s nostrils are flaring
  • Bluish skin
  • Unable to breastfeed or drink
  • Very sleepy or difficult to wake
  • Peeing less than usual
  • Fever with rash
  • Seizures or convulsions
  • Fever in an infant younger than 3 months

If you are worried your child is seriously ill, call 911 or go to the emergency department.


Skip to content